In South Africa, Women’s Day is a day to both celebrate women’s contribution to achieving freedom in South Africa, and more specifically, the actions of those women in 1956 who marched for their freedom and equality.
On 9 August 1956, 20,000 women of all races rose up against the legislation that required black South Africans to carry the ‘pass’ (a special identification document) and staged a peaceful march to Pretoria’s Union Buildings. After the petition, which contained more than 100,000 signatures, was handed over to the Prime Minister, the women sang a freedom song: Wathint` abafazi, Strijdom! Since then, the phrase‘wathint’ abafazi, wathint’ imbokodo’ (You Strike a Woman, You Strike a Rock). Today this song represents the courage and strength of South African women.
The first National Women’s Day was celebrated in 1995, after South Africa was declared a democratic country. August has since become National Women’s Month. The celebration brings attention to significant issues that South African women still face today, such as parenting, domestic violence, sexual harassment, unequal pay and schooling. This day offers the opportunity for us to come together and fight for or against such issues.
This year Women’s Day falls on a Friday, meaning that you will have an entire weekend to celebrate! Treat yourself or a special lady in you life, or do your part by contributing to a cause that supports the women in your nation.
Why not use this opportunity to get your neighbours together and celebrate the women in your lives and community? Whether its hosting a braai, holding a fund-raising event, or volunteering at a local charity/ non-profit organisation, use your OurHood platform to chat to your neighbours and make a plan.
Not sure how to celebrate this year? Here are just a few of the activities taking place throughout South Africa:
Totalsports Women’s Race Cape Town: In celebration of Women’s Day, thousands of women will be on the run through the streets of Durban, Johhanesburg, and Cape Town. The race aims to help raise awareness of breast cancer and RUN UNITED. There is no need to feel intimidated, you can set your own pace and choose between 5km or 10km.
- When: 9 August, 8am-11am
- Venue: Grand Parade, Cape Town; Mary Fitzgerald Square, Rahima Moosa St, Johannesburg
- More Info: Totalsports Women’s Race Cape Town; Totalsports Women’s Race Joburg
BE BOLD Women’s Day Lunch: Empower Me and Shimmy Beach Club have come together to host an afternoon of inspiring talks by experts in their field, covering everything from personal branding to how to look and feel beautifully bold. Tickets include canapes, a 2 course lunch, complimentary welcome drinks, as well as live music, gift bags and more. A portion of the ticket proceeds will be donated to St Anne’s Home.
- Cost: R550 pp
- When: 9 August, 12pm-3pm
- Venue: Shimmy Beach Club, 12 South Arm Rd
- Bookings: [email protected]
- More Info: Empower Me Women’s Day Lunch
Women’s Day Meet the Brewers featuring Hey Joe Brewing: Beer, food and hosting by some of the most amazing women in the brewing industry.
- Cost: R200 – early bird; R250 normal tickets
- When: 9 August, 3pm-5.30pm
- Venue: Beerhouse 223 Long St
- More Info: Women’s Day Meet the Brewers featuring Hey Joe Brewing
A Women’s Day Celebration at Two Oceans Aquarium: Silent Events presents Phoenix Rising, with exclusive after-hours access to the aquarium. There will be two stages of entertainment with an all-female line up of local artists.
- Cost: R295 pp
- When: 9 August, 7.30pm-12am
- Venue: Two Oceans Aquarium, Dock Rd, V&A Waterfront
- More Info: A Women’s Day Celebration at Two Oceans Aquarium
Steenberg by Night: the landmark Constantia wine farm is celebrating its rich legacy of strong women with a seris of inspiring workshops throughlut August.
- Cost: R420 pp
- When: Writing Workshop – 14 & 21 August; Aromatherapy Workshop – 14 & 21 August; Illustration Workshop – 22 & 29 August
- Venue: Steendberg Estate, Steenberg Rd, Tokai
- Bookings: 021-713 2211; [email protected]
- More Info: Facebook event
Totalsports Women’s Race Joburg: In celebration of Women’s Day, thousands of women will be on the run through the streets of Durban, Johhanesburg, and Cape Town. The race aims to help raise awareness of breast cancer and RUN UNITED. There is no need to feel intimidated, you can set your own pace and choose between 5km or 10km.
- When: 9 August, 8am-11am
- Venue: Mary Fitzgerald Square, Rahima Moosa St, Johannesburg
- More Info: Totalsports Women’s Race Joburg
JHB Secret Sunrise – Four Seasons: get the girls (and boys) together and join for a morning of dancing followed by breakfast. No experience needed.
- Cost: R275 – Adults; R160 – Kids under 12 years
- When: 9 August, 9am-11am
- Venue: Four Seasons Hotel, The Westcliff, Johannesburg, 67 Jan Smuts Ave
- More Info: JHB Secret Sunrise – Four Seasons
Rosefest: celebrating the power of women in the South African music industry and her debut album, Shekhinah is holding a festival at Nasrec.
- Cost: R240pp
- When: 9 Aiugust, from 12pm
- Venue: Expo Centre Nasrec, C/o Rand Show and Nasrec Rds
- More Info: Rosefest Johannesburg
Fun Walk Against Teenage Pregnancy, Drug Abuse and Gangsterism: join the Madiba Foundation in creating awareness against issues facing the teens of South Africa with this fun walk.
- When: 9 August, 5am-11am
- Venue: Tzaneen Maake Plaze
- More Info: Fun Walk Against Teenage Pregnancy, Drug Abuse and Gangsterism
Gin & Roses: round the troops for a delicious tapas menu and live music at the Thaba Eco Hotel and Spa. Let the fun be-gin!
- Cost: varies
- When: 9 August, 1pm-11pm
- Venue: Thaba Eco Hotel and Spa, Impala Rd, Glenvista
- More Info: Gin & Roses
Purpose on the Rise Women’s Economic Empowerment Conference: A women’s conference with networking, learning, sharing, building and launching new ideas, partnerships and more. Swati Mandela is confirmed as the featured keynote speaker on the day.
- Cost: R420 – General Admission; R700 – VIP Gold; R1400 – VIP Platinum
- When: 10 August, 7am-6pm
- Venue: Focus Rooms, The Core, C/o Leeuwkop and Kikuyu Rd
- More Info: Purpose on the Rise Women’s Economic Empowerment Conference
National Women’s Day Bottomless Gin: celebrate women’s day with bottomless gin all day long.
- Cost: R295pp
- When: 9 August, 11am-10pm
- Venue: Barbon Bristo, 279 Dey St, Brooklyn, Pretoria
- More Info: National Women’s Day Bottomless Gin
4thDoek on Fleek All Women’s Day Pretoria with VUSI NOVA: Book now to avoid disappointment, as this Doek On Fleek’s Women’s Day Picnic will sell out quickly.
- Cost: R100 – Phase 1; R150 – Phase 2
- When: 9 August, 11am-7pm
- Venue: Bundu Inn Ga-rankuwa, Rankuwa, Pretoria
- More Info: 4thDoek on Fleek All Women’s Day Pretoria with VUSI NOVA
Solid Union – Women’s Camp: Solid Union is a community of women who aim to support and care for one another without boundaries. This camp is all about ‘Flourishing from within.’
- Cost: R650pp
- When: 9-11 August, 1pm-4-m
- Venue: Living Stones Assembly, Phedisana St, Nelmapius
- More Info: Solid Union – Women’s Camp
Mixed Pairs Women’s Day: get together and celebrate this year’s Women’s Day with a game of bowls. 24 mixed pair teams will take place in 5 games of ten ends. Lunch is included and the total prize money is R5000.
- When: 9 August, 8.30am-5.30pm
- Venue: CBCOB Bowling Club, 78 George Storrar Dr
- Bookings: [email protected]
- More Info: Mixed Pairs Women’s Day
Totalsports Women’s Race Durban: In celebration of Women’s Day, thousands of women will be on the run through the streets of Durban, Johhanesburg, and Cape Town. The race aims to help raise awareness of breast cancer and RUN UNITED. There is no need to feel intimidated, you can set your own pace and choose between 5km or 10km.
- When: 9 August
- Venue: King’s Park Athletic Track, BH6 5 Bournemouth
- More Info: Totalsports Women’s Race Durban
Women’s Day High Tea: Celebrate at Fairmont Zimbali Resort with an indulgent high tea.
- Cost: R350pp
- When: 9 August, 1pm-4pm
- Venue: Fairmont Zimbali Resort
- Bookings: [email protected]
- More Info: Facebook Event
Durban Divas Celebrating Woman’s: a night of entertainment including live performers, dancing, games and poetry. Dress Code: Colourful with Hats.
- Cost: R100
- When: 9 August, 9am-2pm
- Venue: BAT Centre, 45 Maritime Pl, Victoria Embankment
- More Info: Durban Divas Celebrating Woman’s
For more events, see here – https://www.vibescout.com/za/post/national-womens-day
Women empowering organisations and charities
Women4women – this is women helping other women. The non-profit organisation focuses on female empowerment and community upliftment to improve the lives of the less fortunate and disadvantaged women of South Africa.
St Anne’s Home– provide shelter, care and empowerment for abused, destitute and pregnant mothers and their young children.
18twenty8– award-winning, women-led non-profit organisation that empowers young women from disadvantaged backgrounds by developing strategies for their educational and personal development.
BWOYA– the largest and most prominent association of business and professional women in South Africa, it works to highlight the current status of women in leadership and act as a lobby group that advocates on women’s business.
Agenda Feminist Media: Agenda Feminist Media is committed to giving women a forum, a voice and skills to articulate their needs and interests towards transforming unequal gender relations.
Happy Women’s Day!
The OurHood Team 🙂
Connecting Neighbours, Strengthening Communities