With a week of heavy shed loading ahead, we thought we would share with you a few simple tips to keep safe when those lights go out.
* Keep an eye on the proposed load shedding times so that you and your family are always prepared. Find out your local schedule here: loadshedding.eskom.co.za
* If your security measures are power-dependent, make sure to use padlocks, burglar bars and deadbolts to provide extra security.
* Make sure that your phone always has sufficient charge so that you are able to call for help if needed – if possible, we advise you invest in a battery pack, or a charger that is compatible with your car.
* Invest in a few high-wattage solar powered lights, battery-powered lights lights. This will deter potential burglars.
* Keep torches in easily accessible locations in your house. Make sure the batteries still work and have spare on hand just in case.
* Make sure that all our appliances are turned off, so that when power returns they will not be damaged or potential fire hazards.
Once you have taken the safety measures above, we urge you to look out for fellow residents who may be more reliant on power than others, such as the elderly. This could be by sharing the above list, or perhaps popping over to check that they are okay or in need of anything.
We also urge partners such as NHW and RPA to keep their residents informed during the load shedding period.
Whilst load shedding may seem like a nuisance, it is necessary to prevent a national blackout! To read more about load shedding and why it exists, see here. In the mean time, make sure to keep your phones charged, and torches on hand, and stay safe this festive season!
The OurHood Team 🙂
Connecting Neighbours and Strengthening Communities.
(advice adapted from https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/useful-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-load-shedding-38919844)
Download the OurHood App and stay in the loop of what is going on in your neighbourhood anytime, anywhere. Among other features, users can instantly post messages and alerts, chat to neighbours in real-time and receive important notifications.
Download it here: